Summer Solstice occurs on the day when the sun reaches its highest point in the sky, making it the longest day of the year. It is an ancient, spiritual tradition to celebrate on this day of the year and at SHARE we are throwing a special event to celebrate the beauty of the great outdoors.
📍 Trannish Island. Set sail from Share Discovery Village.
⏰ 6.30pm – 10.30pm
📅 Saturday 20th June
The celebrations will take place on Trannish Island, a beautiful island on Upper Lough Erne which SHARE owns a part of. Out on the island we own a Bothy, which was an old house that was recently restored, and a campfire.
The island is full of natural beauty and is a peaceful get away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life. To get out to the island, everyone will jump in a canoe (canoes can be rafted for stability) and paddle out – that’s when the celebrations begin!
Out on the island, our staff will have a tasty BBQ being prepared for everyone to tuck in to. There will also be a variety of fun activities for the kids to take part in such as a Scavenger Hunt and arts activities in the Bothy should it rain.
The main attraction of the Summer Solstice celebrations is getting to see the breath-taking sunset on Upper Lough Erne on the longest day of the year! On the return paddle we will get to see the sun setting whilst out in the middle of the lough – this will be the perfect opportunity for some magnificent photos for Instagram!
Timing of Summer Solstice Event:
– Arrival: 6.30pm at SHARE reception (Time to gather everyone up, get equipment and introduction).
– Take off paddling: 7pm (It takes roughly 45 minutes to paddle to island. The paddle to and from the island is under the guidance of an instructor. Canoeing is great fun, safe and gives you the opportunity to soak up all the beauty of the Fermanagh Lakelands).
– Return paddle: 9.30pm (Sunset is at 10.10pm so this is timed perfectly to see it while on the Lough).
– BBQ (1 Hot dog and 1 burger each).
– Kids activities (Scavenger hunt, explore the island, indoor arts activities if it rains).
– Camp fire.
– Stay on the island for roughly 2 hours.
– £15pp or £50 for family of 4.
– Price includes 2 hours’ canoe activity, burger & hot dog and campfire & activities on the island.
– Canoes can be shared between families so younger kids that may struggle to paddle can sit with parents.
– Life jackets, waterproofs or wet-suits, canoes, food and instructors all provided.